How to Set Up Your Email
To set up your email (usually a POP mailbox) you need to know your email address and password.
- In your mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.), the account name should be entered as email@example.com or name/domain.com
- Note: the ‘/’ instead of a ‘@’. Either will work , but older POP clients cannot handle the ‘@’. Also, the FULL domain name must be used, i.e. everything to the right of the ‘/’
- The incoming mail server address for your POP mailbox will be 2.pop.roaming.tagonline.com (use 2.imap.roaming.tagonline.com for an IMAP account), the “2” at the beginning may be a different number which will be provided by us.
- The outgoing server address (SMTP) is 2.smtp.roaming.tagonline.com . The “2” at the beginning may be a different number which will be provided by us.
- Make sure that under the Outgoing Mail Server Settings, you have selected the option SMTP Authentication Required (or phrasing similar to that).
- Make sure that port number for the Outgoing Mail Server is 25 (not 26).
- Under the Advanced (or More) Settings area, make sure that the box that says Leave a Copy of Messages on Server is NOT checked.
If Your Mailbox is Full: Remove Messages Off of the Server
When your mailbox is full, often times it is because your mail program is set to leave copies of your messages on the server. Most mail programs offer the option to a) not leave copies on the server at all, or b) leave copies on the server for “X” amount of days. Below you will find step by step instructions on how to find this setting using Outlook 2010:
- Go to the “File” menu
- View Account Settings
- Select the email account you wish to modify
- Click the button that says “Change”
- Click “More settings” near the bottom right
- Go to the “Advanced” tab
- Either un-check “Leave a copy of messages on the server” completely or lower the threshold to 3-7 days.
- Click OK
- Click Next
Setting Up and Using Gmail
- Login to your Google/Gmail account or create a new Google account.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings
- In your settings in Gmail, click on “Accounts”
- Under “Check mail from other accounts (using POP3):” select”Add a POP3 mail account you own”
- Enter email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter Username (your full email address) and password
- Enter POP Server: pop.domain.com (use imap.domain.com for an IMAP account), where domain.com is the domain for your email address, like tagonline.com if your email address is email@example.com.
- Enter Port number (incoming: 110)
- Select option to NOT “Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server.”
- Select option “Yes, I want to be able to send mail as” (make sure the default for ” Send mail as:” is firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Deselect “Treat as an alias”
- Select option to send through domain.com SMTP servers (select Port: 25)
- Save those settings and click tab on the top for “Forwarding and POP/IMAP”.
- Under “POP Download:” Select either “Enable POP for all mail” or “Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on”
- Under “IMAP Access:” Select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.